Saturday 8 December 2007

The Dream Is Over

As you have probably heard it all came to an end this morning. Pete and Adam were in the cockpit and Agustin had just gone to bed when the mast came crashing down and punctured a hole in the hull. Pete phoned me to tell me they were taking on water, and was going send a distress message via Falmouth coastguard. He spoke to Falmouth giving all the necessary information, who then in turn alerted the ARC control. They issued a message to all boats in the vicinity and Falmouth also alerted any vessels within a 300 mile radius. Pete then phoned again at 12.30 to say they were safely onboard an ARC yacht Navillus, a 50 foot Irish yacht. It was an amazingly quick pick up considering they were approximately 750 miles from land, and a fortunate one. The water was approaching the gunwales on one hull when they were rescued. They are all safe and well, if a little shaken. They managed to save alot of their stuff, and Pete said Agustin had all his things ok. They are now heading for St Lucia for the finish of the ARC. I havent heard any more but the progress of the Navillus can be followed at www.worldcruising.com/arc . You can check its position by following the fleet viewer link.

If I hear anymore regarding their expected arrival in St Lucia I will post this up for you. I think they should be there within 7 days. I am so sorry for not posting this earlier for Agustins friends but should I get any more news I will post again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandra thanks a lot for the information. We had first news from Agustin with the satalite phone it was very gratefull. We are very sorry for you all, and hope they arrive soon to St Lucia.
Warm regards.
Mariajo.

Anonymous said...

Sandra,
Heard the sad news from Dad tonight. We are all so glad that everyone is safe and so so sad it has ended like this. Best wishes to all
The Hornby's

Anonymous said...

A dramatic end to the trip. At least everyone is ok. It'll be an experience to dine out on for years to come!

Despite the disastrous end I'm still sorry I missed out on it all. Maybe the next one?!

Mez. said...

Couldn't quite believe it when I was told last night. Relieved that they are all well, but saddened at the loss of the trusty "Spam". Thinking of the three of them out there, and you and Maddie.

Looking forward to the sailors return.

Mez.

Anonymous said...

After finally finding you at the net,it was dramatic and exiting news.But Agustin,The dream is not over,only at the beginning!!
Enjoy life!!!
Kjell,Norway

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm Pedro, Agustins brother, I'm very pleased reading all safe on Navillus and heading to St. Lucia. Agustin told us he hoped to write about his adventure... hope you have enough material!. A big hug to all on board.